Want Unlimited CE?
Safe Patient Handling
At the conclusion of this continuing education activity, the participant will be able to:
- Define why MSDs occur at high rates for healthcare practitioners and why it’s been so difficult for professionals to alter their approach to the job
- State the environmental factors that lead to injury, including specific problems with staffing, organization, and physical obstructions
- Discuss the established body of evidence related to minimizing MSDs, and why the principles should no longer be used with healthcare workers of today
- Explain the protocol for different types of patients, depending on weight, available equipment, and whether the patient is available to assist with the movement
- Name different types of equipment and explain how each one relates to SPH
- Apply the techniques of SPH to a variety of scenarios, including unexpected emergencies (e.g., a patient falling, etc.)
- Recognize unsafe behavior even in seemingly undemanding tasks, such as feeding a patient on bed rest.
- Differentiate between different techniques based on the nature of the task, needs of the patient, and expectations of the worker
- Incorporate the basics of ergonomics into every aspect of the job
Level 2. Basic Application of Skills and Concepts
Financial Support Disclosure
This activity was developed by AchieveCE free of any commercial support.
Home Study Monograph
3.0 Contact Hours
Advanced Practice RN
Certified Nursing Assistant
Licensed Practical Nurse
Contains case-based material
Provider No. 50-20641
CA BRN No. 2020138
CE Broker No. 20-766356
Jamie Surratt, MD
Requirements for Credit
Participants must score a passing grade of 70% or higher on the activity post-test and complete an activity evaluation. There are no time limits and unlimited test-taking attempts. Credits will be reported automatically to CE Broker if your license information is entered properly in your profile.
PLEASE NOTE. AchieveCE does hold national accreditation from the Academy of General Dentistry. AchieveCE also is an approved provider of nursing CE from both the California Board of Nursing and the Florida Board of Nursing. For all other professions, this activity is only approved for Florida credit.
Windows 8.1, Windows 10
Mac OS X 10.1 or higher
iOS 10+, Android 4.3+
Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Broadband Internet Connection:
T1, Hi-speed DSL or Cable
4G cellular connection
You may also be interested in: