Want Unlimited CE?
Controlled Substance Prescriptions in Dentistry
At the conclusion of this continuing education activity, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the origins and scope of the current opioid crisis in the United States
- Identify current trends in opioid prescribing in the dental profession
- Identify the various types of opioid medications and their mechanisms of action
- Describe how opioids affect the body and the brain
- Describe the most common pain medications used in dentistry
- Distinguish between opioid tolerance, dependence, and addiction
- Describe the symptoms of opioid withdrawal
- Distinguish between opioid agonists, agonist-antagonists, and antagonists
- Identify the most common sources of opioid misuse and diversion.
- Describe steps that dentists can take to ensure the safe handling, storage, and prescription of opioid medications
- Describe the importance of screening for substance disorders in dental practice
- Describe the function and impact of prescription drug monitoring programs in curbing opioid misuse and diversion
- Outline the American Dental Association’s stance on the use of opioids in the treatment of dental pain
Level 2. Basic Application of Skills and Concepts
Financial Support Disclosure
This activity was developed by AchieveCE free of any commercial support.
Home Study Monograph
2.0 Contact Hours
Contains case-based material
Provider No. 50-20641
AGD No. 386503
CE Broker No. 20-648915
Jonas Ashbaugh, DDS
Requirements for Credit
Participants must score a passing grade of 70% or higher on the activity post-test and complete an activity evaluation. There are no time limits and unlimited test-taking attempts. Credits will be reported automatically to CE Broker if your license information is entered properly in your profile.
PLEASE NOTE. AchieveCE does hold national accreditation from the Academy of General Dentistry. AchieveCE also is an approved provider of nursing CE from both the California Board of Nursing and the Florida Board of Nursing. For all other professions, this activity is only approved for Florida credit.
Windows 8.1, Windows 10
Mac OS X 10.1 or higher
iOS 10+, Android 4.3+
Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Broadband Internet Connection:
T1, Hi-speed DSL or Cable
4G cellular connection
You may also be interested in: